Todays announcement of vRealize Automation 8.1 reveals the possibility to use Custom resources in vRA.
I am super exited about that ability. Those who know me, knows that I am a HUGE fan of vRO (vRealize Orchestrator) and the possibility to add anything as a resource in a vRA really opens the product to so many possibilities.
Back in the day it was customary to divide your VMs into three “blue” folders. I was not uncommon to see the three folders named High Priority, Normal Priority and Low Priority, and then people would distribute the VMs into those folders. The reason they were called blue folder was because it was really resource pools created in a DRS cluster in the Hosts and Clusters view in vCenter. And they were not made to logically divide you VMs into “folders”.
The problem with this approach is that unless you regularly reconfigured these resource pools you would get unexpected performance. I was not uncommon for an installation to have 5-10% of the VMs in the high priority “folder”, 80% in the normal priority “folder” and 5-10% in the low priority “folder”. The problem with this is that if you then select High, Normal and Low shares for these folders, you will not get the performance you would expect.
I was just updating a vCenter server and some ESXi hosts, but after running the vCenter update I found vCenter full of HA Agent install fails. To stop this fail loop, I turned off VMware HA while figuring out what was wrong.
Error: cannot install the vcenter agent service. cannot upload agent after vCSA upgrade
Just provisioned the HPE ESXi 6.7 Update 3 custom OEM image onto some HP DL560 Gen10 servers.
After I updated the servers using update manager and the HPE vibsdepot I ran into problems. Turns out there is a conflict between the VMware provided driver and the HPE provided driver.
The result is that I cannot install all updates to satisfy compliance.
Checking the esxupdate.log file on the ESXi hosts I get the following error:
ValueError: VIBs ELX_bootbank_elx-esx-libelxima.so_12.0.1108.0-03 and ELX_bootbank_elx-esx-libelxima.so_12.0.1108.0-03 have unequal values of the 'payloads' attribute: '[elx-esx-libelxi: 1602.936 KB]' != '[elx-esx-libelxi: 1493.833 KB]'
When upgrading from vRealize Automation 7.4 to 7.5 or other versions you might get the error:
Applying automatic fix for PowershellScriptExecution prerequisite failed
Pre-install: failed (code p-1)
There can be many reasons for this, but in my case it was a GPO that prohibited PowerShell from executing scripts. as referenced here: VMware
For you it might be something else. Tto figure out what the error was you can start of by looking in the logs, but there is actually much more information available in the original output which gets parsed, and then deleted.
Please be aware that the following is quite technical, and it is not very likely that you can use the fix demonstrated here out of the box, but I might give you a hint or two on how to troubleshoot your own issue.